Specially Adapted Housing Grant Program

Veterans with service-connected disabilities do not have to live in discomfort or isolation. They do not even have to pass up the home of their dreams just because it would be too hard to move around or work in. Men and women injured in the line of duty can take full advantage of the Specially Adapted Housing grant program (SAH).

The SAH grant program provides veterans with the funds needed to construct a home that’s accessible and easy to maneuver in. The goal of the program is to help ones with disabilities obtain a less stressful and more independent living situation.

There are two types of grants in the SAH program—the SAH Grant 2101 (a) and the SAH Grant 2101 (b).


About 2101 (a) and 2101 (b)

Grant 2101 (a) can compensate a veteran up to $50,000.  However, an applicant must first meet certain qualifying factors.

Those factors include:

  • Inability to use legs and other lower extremities
  • Blindness in both eyes
  • Inability to use ones hands, arms or upper extremities
  • Inability to use both the lower and upper extremities

Grant 2101 (b) gives service disabled military members up to $10,000 in compensation. Blindness in both eyes and the loss of both hands will qualify a person for the Part B SAH grant.

The two grants can be applied to housing outside of the U.S. as well.


To apply for SAH grants, a veteran will have to:

This  website provides disabled veterans with more information on the VA loan which can be coupled with an SAH grant when buying a home.

For further questions, service members can contact Chief of Specially Adapted Housing Brian N. Bixler at (202) 461-9546 or through email: brian.bixler@va.gov.

Check out this website to see pictures of homes renovated with ramps, walkways, and other accessibility features.

Photo thanks to peterjbaer under creative common license on Flickr.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *