Options Available for Obtaining a 1099R for this Tax Season

Tax season is once again here, and while many veterans need not worry about their benefits being taxed, others do.  Retirees and annuitants usually receive a 1099R form around the end of the year.  If you have moved, though, and never got around to updating your address with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, better known as DFAS, then its likely that you will not be receiving your end-of-year tax form.  Thankfully though, unless you absolutely enjoy the music while on hold, there is a way to get a 1099R without having to wait on hold to explain the situation.  Any of these methods also work if you have simply not yet received your form and wish to ensure that you will get one.

Understandably some folks appreciate talking to a live person regardless of the situation, and that is perfectly ok.  For everyone else, there are a few different ways to pick from in attaining a 1099R.

The first way: the lovely internet.

If you have an account on mypay go to the mypay website and sign in.  Once logged in, under the main menu is an option for a “tax statement.”  Voila, you have your tax form.

The second way: a touch tone phone.

This entire method is automated; there are no people to talk to.  Dial Retiree and Annuitant Pay at 800–321-1080.  You will want to choose option 4.  You will be asked to enter your social security number.  A 1099R will be sent to the address on record with the system, and should arrive in around 10 business days.

The third way: a fax machine.

This may be a good option if your address has changed.  Simply write a letter containing your request for your 1099R, also include your address, social security number, the date, and your signature.  Fax the letter to 800-469-6559

The fourth way: snail mail.

Always a solid choice, you can mail a letter with your request for the 1099R, your address, social security number, the date, and your signature.  Your form should arrive about two weeks after the request is received.  Mail the letter to:

If you are a Retiree:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

U.S. Military Retirement Pay

P.O. Box 7130

London, KY 40742-7130

If you are an Annuitant:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

P.O. Box 7131

London, KY 40742-7131

Because of the sensitivity of the information you would be faxing off or entering into a phone, here is the original site this information was gathered from.  Our version is simply much shorter, and easier to read.

Photo thanks to alancleaver_2000 under creative common license on Flickr.

1 thought on “Options Available for Obtaining a 1099R for this Tax Season”

  1. Kevin T. Connolly

    Thanks for the easy access information. The VA as well as the Govt in general should be as easy.
    I attempted MyPay – never used before so no log in. So they want you to call a number and wait for a temp log in to arrive in the MAIL – takes up to 10 days. Why not an Email ? You could be in you account the same day. Got to be a better way.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *