Education Benefits for Disabled Veterans

For veterans who become disabled during their time of service, the Department of Veterans Affairs offers numerous benefits to enhance their quality of life. Benefits available to disabled veterans include, but not limited to, monthly compensation, caregiver compensation, and modified vehicle allowance.  Two of the most progressive benefits offered to disabled veterans by the VA are the VetSuccess Program and the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill which allow veterans to more easily transition in to a career after service by receiving education assistance.

What Is The VetSuccess Program?

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Act provides disabled veterans with programs to learn new job skills, and also offers their dependents a chance to receive a college education. The program must be applied to, and eligible disabled veterans may become a part of the program while they are still living in VA treatment facilities. Eligible disabled veterans can use the services of the Veterans Success Act up to 12 years after service, and will receive:

  • Vocational counseling
  • Evaluation to determine abilities and skills
  • On the job training, apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
  • Post-secondary training at a college or vocational, technical, or business school
  • Collaboration with medical rehabilitation team

What Is the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill?

Disabled veterans may also receive educational assistance through the Post 9/11 G.I Bill to acquire the proper skills and training needed to transition into the civilian workforce. The bill provides up to 36 months of educational benefits, and offers in-state tuition assistance, a Basic Allowance for Housing, and an annual stipend for books and supplies. Benefits are payable for 15 years after release from active duty, and can be used to for:

  • an undergraduate or graduate degree
  • flight training
  • apprenticeships
  • on the job training
  • correspondence course
  • certificate programs

Veterans who are 20% disabled due to service may qualify for these educational assistance programs, however veterans who are 50% disabled automatically qualify.  To be eligible for either program veterans must have served for at least 90 days on or after September 11, 2001, or have served for at least 30 days if they were discharged due to a service related disability.  All veterans must have received an honorable discharge in order to be eligible.

Photo thanks to m00by under creative common license on Flickr.

16 thoughts on “Education Benefits for Disabled Veterans”

  1. I am a military retiree and Vietnam veteran. I recently received notification from the VA to the effect that I have been awarded a 10 percent disability rating.

    Does this decision result in any of my family members becoming eligible for any kind of fiancial assistance to pursue their educational goals such as college tuition? Specifically, I am wondering about my offspring including grandchildren.

  2. Rodney Hathaway

    I am a disabled vet with 60% disabilty. I was Honorably Discharged in 1998. Do I qualify for any educational benefits?

  3. Rodney,

    Unfortunately, the GI Bill eligibility ends 10 years after you leave service, and voc rehab ends 12 years after you leave service. I have seen though, some veterans who provide medical documentation that they were unable to begin education due to serious mental or physical impairment for a certain time. In one specific case, a veteran provided evidence that her PTSD prevented her from attempting college until 15 years after discharge. She was granted a waiver and allowed to use her GI Bill benefits. If this situation could apply to you, pursue it. Otherwise, unfortunately it has been just a few years too long.

  4. I joined the US Army in 2005. I got discharged from the US Army in 2008 under General (Under Honorable Conditions). I was also given 50% Service-Connected Disability Rating and Compensation. Am I still eligible of the Post 911 MGI Bill?

  5. I did not take the GI Bill while on active duty and am discharged in 95 with a 30% disability do I qualify for any assistance to go back to school?

  6. I joined in 05 and was medically retired in 2010 with a %60 Army and %90 VA disabled status. I would like to trans fer my Post GI to my wife. Can I ?

  7. I was medically retired in 2006 with 30% disability from the Marines and then 40% from the VA…..can I get any educational benefits for my son?

    1. YES. I know for a fact that CA has a program just for that. If you are a disabled vet, then your children go to any state funded school in CA tuition and fee free. Unfortunately this benefit is not for the veterans themselves.

  8. Hi, I am a 70% service connect combat vet on IU. I got my discharge from IRR in 2009. Does eligibility end ten years from that date or the actual discharge date in 05 or 06?

  9. Joseph Pamelia

    I was discharged from the U.S Army in 1969, Honorably and am now 60% Disabled.

    Do I now qualify for any Educational Benefits. I still need a job, even though I am 65 yrs old.


  10. Frank S. Herrera

    I was discharged in Dec. ’69 with a 10% service connected disability. In 2010 it was revised to 60% due to serious changes in my medical condition. Does this qualify me for any educational benefits?

  11. Frank S Herrera

    I was discharged in Dec. ’69 with a 10% service connected disability. In 2010 it was revised to 60% due to serious changes in my medical condition. Does this qualify me for any educational benefits?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *